Bloody Nose:


For those who were there
For those who lived to tell
For those who made it’s story stay alive
A bloody nose
A wearily, long, dubious battle
Towards the end you learn to do what you are told
Don’t ask questions
Protect your brothers
Keep your head down, your feet moving toward anything
Protect the ones who protect you
Company K, Company 1 commanded with vigor
Commanded with honor
For those who wish not to speak
For those who suppress the aspects
For those who gave they’re lives
A marine rifleman
A marine sniper
A marine all one in the same
Young boys proud to serve they’re country
Unruly, eager to join the combat
Fight the good fight
Stark realism, scars to prove they were there
Characterized the Marine Corps
Sad song to sing, a single photo of a woman back home
Allow me the privilege Sir,
Whistles of a stream train provided, and invited 
The illusion of an unhurried life
Real fine Marine Corps meal ticket
Courtesy of signing on that dotted line
Order something nice for that girl of yours
Full of sweet salty swagger
Care to lend me a hand Officer
Confidence characterized the Marine Corps
Flunking out of a peaceful Officer college campus
So to join combat quicker
Admiration, Determination
Glory of the 1st Marine Division

For those who fought on Peleliu
For those who were called the Wildcats
For those who signed away they’re life
For the ones who were the last of the family line and went anyway
For those who are the Marine Corps 

Comments

  1. As I said, stark realism says it all.

    I love these lines:
    Sad song to sing, a single photo of a woman back home
    Allow me the privilege Sir,
    Whistles of a stream train provided, and invited
    The illusion of an unhurried life
    Real fine Marine Corps meal ticket
    Courtesy of signing on that dotted line

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote that poem when my brother said he wanted to join the Marine's.
    "Sad song to sing, a single photo of a woman back home
    Allow me the privilege Sir,"
    I had hoped my shame would show through the words, because my mother and I begged him not to go and what sort of person does that make me?
    "Whistles of a steam train provided, and invited
    The illusion of an unhurried life"
    I imagined the bliss soilders must feel, the hours spent on the train or on plane that would take them to war. The Silence Before War.
    "Real fine Marine Corps meal ticket
    Courtesy of signing on that dotted line."
    Everyone of my mothers six brothers were forced to go Vietnman
    They never recieved a parade, not even a Welcome Home when they returned.
    Those lines were written in rage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Begging him not go only makes you a very concerned sister. I know that kind of concern. It feels like sickness.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, hearing that people actually like my poetry means the entire world to me.

      Delete
  4. My brother has 2 years in the Army. He is going to Afghanistan in November. That is where The Dignified Transfer comes from I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother never joined the Marines.
      But I am an avid supporter of our troops.
      I have a cousin in the Army, serving in Afghanistan now and I am just starting to write to him. Send him cookies and stuff.

      Delete
  5. Hi Anna, great blog! I love the poetry! I'm a follower. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please follow if you have a chance. Best, Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really means so much that you like my poetry. Thank you for saying so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the poem!! I think you should link one of these puppies up at Cowgirl Up at Cedar Hill Ranch, you can do it now or even wait until the next party on Tuesday. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poem is lovely. Very beautiful and moving and strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You put a big grin on my face saying this. I never knew my poetry was any good until I created this blog. It really is quite stunning to hear people say such wonderful things about it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts